Frequently Asked Questions


Q. Do I have to carry my passport at all times?
A. Foreigners must carry their passport or a photocopy at all times. If they go away somewhere overnight, they should also take their passport. For photocopies, you need to show the photo page and the latest extension of stay. Violators could be detained and told to pay a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht.

Q. Does my Thai wife have to report my address to Immigration?
A. Homeowners must inform Immigration within 24 hours if they have a foreigner staying at their house. This can be done using form TM30. This only needs to be done the first time. Homeowners face a fine of not exceeding 2,000 Baht while hotel managers could be fined 4,000 to 8,000 Baht.

Q: When I download a form, must I print on two sides of the paper?

ANSWER: Officially you must print on both sides. This is because sometimes your signature might only be on the second page.

Q: We need to extend our stay in Thailand but my wife is ill with dengue fever. Can I renew on her behalf?

ANSWER: If you are sick or receiving treatment at a hospital, you can send someone on your behalf to renew extension of stay. But, you will need to get a doctor’s certificate to show the Immigration officer. Please note, if you overstay you will still need to pay the 500 Baht per day fine even if you have a doctor’s certificate.

Q: Does the return date on the re-entry permit application form need to be accurate?

ANSWER: The date you write on the form for re-entry permit is not strict. You can come back on a different date. But, you must come back before your visa or extension of stay expires.

Q: I have lost my departure card. What must I do?

ANSWER: The first thing you have to do is file a report at your local police station. This usually costs 20 Baht. Then go to your local Immigration and request a new departure card. There is no fine or fee, so please be polite as you are creating extra work for the officers. If you are flying out, please allow for extra time for them to process your request at airport Immigration.

Q: I have a 30 day Visa Exemption stamp that I renewed for another 30 days. I will go to Laos for a holiday soon for 4 days before coming back overland to Bangkok to fly home. Will I have a problem re-entering the country?

ANSWER: Questions like these cannot be answered with a certainty. It is up to the discretion of the Immigration officer at the border. However, if you don’t have many visa exemption stamps, you have never overstayed, you have a hotel booking and have a ticket to fly out, then your chances are high of having no problems. (Please note, at the land border when you come back, you will get 30 days if you are from a G7 country. Other people will get 15 days.)

Q: I am flying to Thailand for a two week holiday but my passport expires in five months. Is that a problem?

ANSWER: If you are from one of 20 countries that get Visa on Arrival at the airport, then you must have at least six months left on your passport. For other countries, you won’t have a problem arriving at the airport. However, please check with your airline first. Some may refuse you.

Q: What do I do if I have lost the 90 Day Reporting slip in my passport?

ANSWER: There is no fine involved as long as you are not late. (Most Immigration offices will give you a 7 day grace period. Please double check this with your local office.) If you have lost your form, you will need to go to your local police station first to file a report. This usually costs no more than 50 Baht. Tell them the name of the form (90 Day Reporting). It might be easier for you to get a blank form from the Immigration office first to show them. Then, once you have the police report, just go to Immigration as normal before your 90 days are up. Please don’t pretend you have lost your 90 Day form just to cover up the fact that you are late. They will find out and you will then face criminal charges for filing a false report. This would be in addition to the 2,000 Baht fine for being late.

Q: What age should my kids start doing 90 day reporting?

ANSWER: If your children live with you and you already do 90 Day reporting yourself, then there is no need for your children to do so too. However, by the time they reach the age of 15, they should start doing 90 Day Reporting themselves. If you child is over 15, there could be a fine of 2,000 Baht. If you are in doubt, please contact Immigration officer.

Q: What do I do about my Visa Exemption Stamp if I get a new passport?

ANSWER: As your old passport is cancelled, you have to return to the Immigration office where you received the visa exemption stamp. They will then transfer it to your new passport. The exception is if you arrived at one of the international airports in Thailand. For example, you flew into Phuket and are now in Bangkok. It is unreasonable to expect you to return all the way to Phuket. (The six international airports are: Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai and Chiang Rai.) You then need to go to the Immigration office in the area of your residence. For example, if you are now in Bangkok, then go to Chaeng Wattana. If you are just north in Nonthaburi, you then need to go to that office.